Monday 5 December 2011

HOW TO GIVE A BETTER SPEECH THAN OBAMA and change your world - (The Irish Influence) by Darren Kelly, Kellcomm, Blog - Day 14

Hi,

Daniel O'Connell was an Irish nationalist leader of the early nineteenth century. O'Connell Street, Dublin's main thoroughfare was named after him in 1924. O’Connell’s statue stands at the lower end of the street, facing the River Liffey. He was born in 1775 in County Kerry and was elected to the British parliament in 1828. O'Connell refused to take the Oath of Allegiance to the English crown and with the backing of 6 million followers, he won the right for Catholics to vote in 1829.

In 1845, he befriended an African-American slave called Frederick Douglass. Douglass, concerned that his former American owners might try to seek to recover him as their property travelled to Ireland where, slavery was illegal. His reception in Ireland brought him great happiness. He said, “I gaze around in vain for one who will question my equal humanity, claim me as his slave, or offer me an insult. I employ a cab - I am seated beside white people - I reach the hotel - I enter the same door - I am shown into the same parlour - I dine at the same table - and no one is offended... When I go to church, I am met by no upturned nose and scornful lip to tell me.”

Douglass was greatly influenced by O’Connell’s beliefs and his wonderful speaking skills. He said this of the Irishman, “His eloquence came down upon the vast assembly like a summer thunder-shower upon a dusty road. He could stir the multitude, at will, to a tempest of wrath, or reduce it to the silence with which a mother leaves the cradle side of her sleeping babe. Such tenderness – such pathos – such world-embracing love! ” Frederick Douglass is greatly admired by Obama and through his study of Douglass, Obama discovered O’Connell. Obama has acknowledged the inspiration O’Connell offered him, and he has highlighted how O'Connell's example that change can come from discussion is a lesson for everyone.

The Irishman’s belief in non-violent passive resistance also provided the template for change that inspired Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Tomorrow, I will tell you about some heart-stopping moments I had when I wrote the book.

Take care,

Darren.

PS: 'HOW TO GIVE A BETTER SPEECH THAN OBAMA and change your world' - is available on iTunes and Amazon NOW!

Kellcomm, Princes Exchange,Princes Square,Leeds,LS1 4HY, United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment