Wednesday 21 December 2011

HOW TO GIVE A BETTER SPEECH THAN OBAMA and change your world - (My Audacity of Hope) by Darren Kelly, Kellcomm, Blog - Day 30

Hi,

When I finish reading any book, I always think about the nuggets of information I can use in my life. Bill Clinton’s book, ‘My Life’ revealed that Alan Lakein’s book, ‘How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life’ changed his life. I bought Lakein’s book and it really changed mine. Stephen King‘s book,‘On Writing’ taught me that I have a long way to go, but that I should pay no attention to the same sort of critics who poured scorn on the very successful John Grisham. ‘The Road Less Travelled’ by Scott Peck helped me deal more effectively with my disappointments in life.

I decided not to read any of Obama’s books before I wrote this book because I did not want my mind influenced by his inner thoughts. After all, the book is about speech making and his ability to connect with other people. After I wrote my book, I picked up The Sunday Times, and The Guardian recommended ‘The Audacity of Hope’. I learned more about Obama, America, the world, and a lot more about myself.

I learned that I’m just like any other parent when I hold my daughters' hands and play with them. I accept that I do have this desire to preserve “every gesture” as Obama put it. I see them growing up so fast, and at times it does frighten me. It’s not that I know I’m getting older. It’s just that I love being a Dad so much. Being a parent is such a precious gift, but it’s also one that’s full of worry, and it’s ok to feel that way.

I learned that it’s important to express my honest views without worry that they may come back to haunt me one day. Obama wrote about how each vote in his Senate days could come back to haunt him. However, he realised that such thinking paralyses progress. When I write, train or speak,I know my heart is in the right place to help other people

I learned that I must remind myself daily of how lucky I am to live in a place called Yorkshire. I appreciate the people, but I must stop more often to appreciate the moors, the cities and everything else that makes it such a wonderful place. Obama wrote about meeting a woman after Hurricane Katrina. She told him that she had nothing before the hurricane, and now she had less than nothing. Martin Luther King once said that people get excited about neon lights, but they never stop to look at the sun rise. What can be more powerful than the sun? Not even the world’s greatest technology could compare with its strength, beauty and power.

I learned through Obama's insight into Rosa Park's funeral that statues and commemorative stamps may not be the best way to pay tribute to heroes of the past. The best tribute we can offer is to adopt a tiny part of their wisdom and greatness, and ensure that we improve on what they offered us.

‘The Audacity of Hope’ makes it into my all-time top ten books. I hope with a certain audacity that you find a nugget or two in my book that will ‘change your world’ too.

Take care,

Darren.


PS: 'HOW TO GIVE A BETTER SPEECH THAN OBAMA and change your world' - is available on iTunes and Amazon NOW!
Audio Version only.
Text version in January 2012.



Kellcomm, Princes Exchange,Princes Square, Leeds, LS1 4HY, United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment